Repatriation simply means returning your child’s body back to the place of origin or citizenship, if they have died in a foreign country

If your baby / child dies in the United Kingdom, and you wish to have them returned to be buried on the Island; when you register their death, you will also need to contact your local funeral director. Advise him of the situation, where you are, and from there he will liaise with a funeral director in the area you are in.

Between them, they will bring your child back to the Isle of Man.

You can choose to have your child cremated, then you can bring them home straight away with the right paperwork.

To register the death you will need :

Full name of the child

Date of birth

Passport information – When and where issued and passport number

Next of kin

The death will be recorded in the General Registry Office and you will be able to obtain a death certificate from them if needed:

General Register Office

Smedley Hudro

Trafalgar Road




If your child dies abroad, you may wish that your child has a local burial or cremation. You will need to provide the above information. The British Consulate can register the death and a record will be held at the offices above. However, should you wish that your child to be brought back to the Island for a cremation or burial; make sure you talk with the funeral directors on the practicalities and costs. If you have inadequate travel insurance, you may be liable to cover the costs yourselves. Before the body will be allowed to be brought home, it will have to be embalmed and also secured into a zinc lined coffin. You will also have to have a full English translation of the death certificate, with written authorisation from the local authorities to remove the body, together with a certificate of embalming.

Another option (if your costs are not covered) would be to have a cremation in the country of death. Some countries will allow for the cremated remains to be carried in your hand luggage home; providing it is accompanied with an English translated death certificate and a certificate from the crematorium. In a few cases you may find that you will have to have the remains consular sealed.

All this can be checked with the funeral director or the British Consulate as each country will have their own laws and regulations. Also be aware that many countries will need a signed document from a doctor to confirm that the child was not suffering from a condition that may cause a public risk. Any funeral director can arrange repatriation but some do specialize with very detailed knowledge of the laws in each country, one we are aware of is :

Rowland Brothers International – Tel: 0208 684 2324. These companies will then be able to either arrange the funeral for you back in the UK or, transfer the body to a funeral director of your choice.




Artwork kindly donated by Janice Farnan Photography

© 2015 - 2016 Tabitha’s Trust
All Rights Reserved
Isle of Man Registered Charity No.1134.